PEAK ASPHALT MIX DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS
PEAK asphalt is a high oil content asphalt mix design with high rubber content. It is a perpetual life asphalt designed for infinite life with recyclable capabilities.
- Rubberized oil additive.
- Fracture rock additive.
- Existing asphalt in-place.
- Virgin asphalt as needed.
- PEAK asphalt shall have an oil content of 8 percent by weight.
- PEAK asphalt shall have a void content compacted at 100 % of 3% minimum.
- PEAK asphalt shall have a minimum asphalt film thickness of 25 microns. Calculation shall include 20 mesh or above and exclude 20 mesh minus.
- To help control thermal cracking rejuvenating agent will have a Pour point of -20 Degrees Celsius or below.
Equipment used for asphalt recycling shall conform to the following specifications:
- Smoke leaving the recycler shall have an opacity of 20% or below at any location at all times. Smoke intermittently exceeding 20% opacity shall not be allowed.
- Heating of the pavement shall be controlled so the pavement temperature does not ever exceed 200 Degrees Celsius.
- To protect overhead trees and for personnel safety, hot gases leaving the recycler shall not be hotter than 100 Degrees Celsius.
- Pavement to be recycled shall be heated three inches wider in all directions of the area to be patched to provide a hot bonded joint.
- Joint between newly recycled asphalt and existing roadway surface shall be angled at an angle of 45 degrees. This will reduce or eliminate water penetration into the joint and eliminate low compaction areas in the joint. Concrete joints shall also be made at a 45% angle.
- PEAK asphalt shall be place at 100 to 200 degrees Celsius.
- PEAK asphalt shall be compacted to 96% minimum of theoretical maximum.
- Per patch each.
- Per square foot.
Pay shall include all equipment and materials to accomplish asphalt PEAK patching as per the specifications.